Sunday, September 28, 2008

Creativity and Compassion = Happiness

Last night I had the opportunity of watching the General Relief Society Meeting of our church. I had been looking forward to it all year because it's one of my favorite meetings. I always leave so uplifted, with my "bucket filled", if you will. And, last night I was not let down. It was absolutely fabulous--probably my all-time favorite! Actually, not "probably"--definitely! I love the Relief Society President, Julie B. Beck, and she gave another inspiring talk last night. I loved the spirit I felt through the whole meeting. In fact, many times during the meeting I noticed I had a smile on my face, as I listened to true principles that made me feel happy.

The best talk, though, was given by President Deiter F. Uchtdorf. However, I don't think reading it will have the same impact as if you watch/hear it directly as he delivered it. It was so powerful, so amazing! He spoke about how we are here (on earth) to be happy, and in order to be happy (because we all have real problems and experience real difficulties) we need to analyze how God is happy. Then, model that. God is happy because He's a God of creation and compassion. We, too, have inborn desires to create and be compassionate, and when we fulfill these desires we are truly happy. That principle rang so true with me last night--and it validated who I am.

Look at children. What do they like to do? Create! They draw; they imagine; they build houses, cities, plans, treasure hunts, etc.. They create! And, if you think about it--when are you happy? I'd be willing to bet it's when you're creating--whether it's creating a batch of brownies or a novel or a quilt. Maybe it's creating a warm and caring home, or maybe it's creating a smile on someone's face. It doesn't matter what it is, when you create something you somehow feel those warm, fuzzy feelings we all love. And, if you analyze it even more--many times when you're creating something, you're also showing compassion. Interesting how both principles go hand in hand. One woman expresses well how I felt/feel about his talk. How blessed I am to belong to the largest, most succesful women's organization in the world--and to think that we were organized by a prophet of God!

I love my life!

2 comments:

Erica Hanks said...

It was a great meeting! I'm glad I have it recorded! I think I'll watch it again today!

Drewmeister said...

Hi Darce,

I missed the meeting so I'm glad to hear your comments on it. I will definitely watch the talks on lds.org rather than just reading them.