








Last night, our entertainment was Kate. Earlier in the day she had started really working one of her teeth—it was loose. Well, she kept working it. She'd been fixated on it all day—even at Temple Square. Then, poor girl, she really wanted it out before she went to bed, but she really didn’t want it to hurt. So she was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Normally, she’s pretty much of a wimp, but not last night 'cuz she really wanted it out. She didn’t want to go to sleep until it was out, but she was really afraid of how much it might hurt. She was in tears—sometimes because she was afraid it would hurt and other times because she wanted it out. It was really cute.
Anyway, she tried sucking on ice to numb it. She had my dad (grandpa) try pushing it out. She even tried having Lehi tie dental floss around it and yanking it out—twice! None of those worked. When I wiggled it I could tell it needed to be twisted, and with my nails I could do that, but I really didn’t want to. I didn’t want to hurt her, and I was afraid it would be kinda nasty to do it. But, she insisted, and really wanted me to do it. So, I finally sat her on my lap and got a good grip and twisted!
I twisted it good, but it was only enough to get it completely tweaked—I mean, it was twisted all the way around but it didn’t come out. So, I got another grab and twisted again, and it was out! However, I couldn’t find it. I figured it was in her mouth so I told her to spit it out. She couldn’t find it, so she just kept spitting blood into my hand. That was lovely!?! Then, it occurred to me that it was probably on the floor, which is where it was. She was pretty excited, and I was pretty gagged—sitting there with blood and spit all over my hand. But, I have to say, it was fun to be a part of that experience—a childhood experience you always remember. And, I have to say, I don’t know that I’ve heard many kids say that their mom pulled their tooth out of their mouth! I’m excited that I get to have been the one to have done that. This was her fifth tooth, so it’s not like it was her first one, but I’m glad I got to be a part of that childhood memory. I hope she remembers it. I certainly will! We did it here, in front of everyone—our family, my dad and Carolyn, and Brooklyn. It was a fun night—a fun memory. Oh, and Eliza is the best! She sat on the couch with her fingers in her ears. She didn’t want to hear Kate scream. . . . and Kate didn’t! Brave girl!
3 comments:
Kate -- You look so cute with your tooth gone. What a brave girl you were. Love, Gram Nay
What a brave girl. My hubby had to pull all of our boys' teeth. I never could bring myself to pull any of them.
Brave mom too!
There are some things about being a mom that I don't feel like I'm missing out on by not having kids. Changing diapers and pulling teeth are pretty near the top of the list!
Post a Comment