
Well, the major theme of my life this past week seems to have been "preparedness." I've spent time online, finding awesome blogs by people who are really involved in getting prepared, being self-sufficient, living thrifty, saving money, etc., etc. It's been really fun for me to learn new things--like canning cheese! Who would've thought! I've really gotten inspired to garden, preserve, crochet, quilt, save money--and generally get back to the basics. You'll find a lot of the blogs I've found this week on my sidebar, and many of those have really fun/interesting links. So, go check them out! Anyway, one of them--My imaginary blogspot--posted a great, thought-provoking blog about the Waltons. You all remember that great show--"good night Jon-Boy, good night Mary Ellen . . ." Well, the Waltons lived during The Depression, so they had to "make it do or do without." Lehi and I have talked a little about that principle today, both of us reminding each other, at different times, that that's how we need to be living.
Lehi a.k.a. "Jon-Boy
Darce a.k.a. "Mary Ellen"
3 comments:
Amen to getting back to the basics!
I'm right there with you. I am sure I was really meant to have been born during the "simpler" days (meaning harder work but simpler lifestyles when you spent the evening chattin' it up with relatives by the glow of the fireplace). Wouldn't it be nice to get back to the basics AND have the modern conveniences of today. I think it's possible. Everyday I strip away a little more of the meaningless nonsense that I was convinced made life worth living. It's all about families and good memories, right?
Anyways, I noticed a familiar sight on your "Let the good times..." post. That park with the amphitheater in Snowflake is the park of my youth. My uncle Jay (and favorite cousins) lives just up the road that leads to the park (past the church house) in the red brick house with the big columns in the front and the circular driveway. My Grandpa and Grandma Flake lived just up the road from that in the house directly across the street from the "big House" (as we used to call it but I believe it's now called the Flake Mansion). This area is almost sacred to me and brings back to my mind some of the sweetest memories of my youth. Summers in Snowflake. It didn't get any better than that!
Hey, you have a blog! Yay! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that video "Come to the farm"! Soooo true--and hilarious!
Absolutely. Have I told you yet that I love that you blog? Makes me not miss you guys quite so much.
Post a Comment