Thursday, August 14, 2008

Lobo Pups




It was the first day of school on Monday, and the girls were excited! They weren't even registered yet because of the move, but they had their backpacks and new shoes, and they were ready to go! The Lobo Pups is their school mascot.

I worried a little about them, not knowing anyone, but they didn't seem to be bothered by that at all! In fact, we couldn't get them to their classes quick enough for them! And then, poor Eliza--I decided to have her go to afternoon kindergarten, so she had to come home with me and wait. Boy, did that take the wind out of her sails! All morning long all I heard was, "Mom, I wish I could go to school!" in a very mournful tone. So, when it came time to go, she was pretty pumped! I can't believe my little one is going to kindergarten--time flies!

When I picked them up and asked how their day went, they both yelled out how great it was! Kate said, "I love this school!" Her favorite thing is the merry-go-round--that's all I heard about! However, since then I've gone to "back-to-school" night, and I think I know why she "loves" this school--it's not going to be as difficult as her last school, not as much homework, and a lot more parties. Of course she loves this school! I have to be honest, I'm a little concerned. Their education was my big fear in moving here, and right now my fear is confirmed. I'm hoping it's just the first week of school and teachers are trying to determine where their students abilities are, but I'm not encouraged when the teacher tells me they don't send home phonics homework because "it's over everyone's head." Education is so important, in my mind, so I'm trying to tell myself that other things are just as important as well, and I will just have the blessing/opportunity/headache? of getting to supplement their education. I'm trying to keep this positive and not get worked up over it, but when they only get PE twice/month--yah . . . (sorry Sue, I know that's going to light a huge fire under you!). Anyway, I'll stop there. I could go on and on; I did last night.
That is my only complaint thus far. Other than that, I love this place. And, I do love that the teachers love the kids here, that our girls are making lots of friends, and that when I asked them if they wanted to go back to Mesa tonight they emphatically said, "No!"

3 comments:

Erica Hanks said...

Yikes! No Phonics? Hmmmm...

Well... I guess this answers my Kindergarten question. I'm sure it will all work out!

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa said...

Darce...WOW the big town of Snowflake, you will love it there except for the crazy wind blowing. Just wanted to let you know that my mom(Shirley Hatch) is one of the school nurse at the elementary school. Lonnie and I will have to come and see you next time we are up visiting. What a cute little house!