Last Saturday, a small, private plane crashed in my sister-in-law's backyard. (It crashed in an empty lot that backs up to their garden.) Her boys were outside (ages 5 and 7) and watched it happen. They heard the victims crying out, "Someone please help us." My brother-in-law helped the victims into the medical helicopter. It was/has been a tragic experience for them. Later, they found out the pilot died and the young couple that was on the plane were burned extremely bad. She was burned over 80% of her body and he was burned over 30%.
When I heard the story I was in shock! That is actually the second time a plane has crashed near their home. Of course, my immediate response was that I would be moving--twice is a little too frequent for my liking! However, I was even more surprised when I realized I knew the family of this young couple that were in the plane. My family/siblings have many ties with his. I have five siblings, and all of us know, and have been friends with, one of his siblings at some time in our growing-up years--some of us closer than others. It's amazing what a small world we live in.
So, because of my ties with this story, I've followed their experiences over the past week, thru the wonderful world of blogging. They have been on my mind constantly. The couple, Christian and Stephanie Nielson ,have four young children--and, apparently, so many fans that this horribly sad experience has become, for me, an awe-inspiring journey of faith, fortitude, optimism, and strength. Stephanie's sister has opened her heart and has blogged about this experience all week. (I've put links to both of these blogs under my "great websites" on the sidebar.) What is amazing to me is both women's outlooks on life. They are truly amazing! Her sister, cjane, hasn't dwelt on any of the negative aspects of this experience. Her entire blog is truly inspiring! She's optimistic. She's full of faith! She's sharing her heart, her home, and her family--and she continues to smile!
I think about what I might be like in a situation like this, and I don't believe I'd have the grace, courage, faith, poise, etc., etc. that cjane exhibits. What this has done for me is inspire me to be a better person, to be a better mom, to be more optimistic, to remember to find the beauty in each, mundane day, to hug and kiss and love my girls and my "Mister."--and to hug and kiss and love them again!!
Out of this awful experience, I believe many wonderful things are happening. I've talked to one of my sisters about it and she, too, is inspired by this family. If you spend any time at all on cjane's blog you'll notice the hundreds of comments she gets after every post. I believe my sister and I aren't the only ones inspired by her strength. I think great things--testimonies being lit and/or strengthened, faith being reignited, prayers being answered, families coming together, and people committing to becoming more Christlike--are coming out of a small plane crashing in St. Johns, Arizona. Who says nothing happens in small towns? I know, for a fact, people across the world are sharing in this family's tragedy and GREAT things are coming out of this small town. It reminds me of a scripture in the Book of Mormon--Alma 37:6-7. (Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not trivializing what has happened to these families, I'm just making light of small towns!) I know I, for one, don't feel like there's much I can do for the Nielson's (other than pray, which is actually quite strengthening), so I've decided one thing I can do is commit to being a better person--maybe living a life that would make them happy and my Father in Heaven a little happier.
I really can't find the words to describe how I've felt this week, and how I've felt as I've read these blogs. I wish I could because I've felt it very profoundly, but what I've said will have to do, and I'll have to hope that I've somehow portrayed the impact this amazing family has had on me.
2 comments:
I am in tears. I have been on the verge all week as I've followed this story and haven't been able to get Christian and Stephanie out of my mind. But I haven't cried until I read your post - you've described the feeling perfectly. It's nice to know that amidst this horrific tragedy there is a gleam of goodness because of how it has inspired people (you and I at least) to commit to improve ourselves and become who we know we can and should be. God bless their family.
I know this family also. I worked with one of Stephanie's sisters,Paige, at the hospital in Utah while I was going to school, and my friend from Nebraska married Stephanie's brother Christopher. I have followed along on their blogs. What a tragic time, yet what an inspiration from the families. They are certainly in our prayers.
P.S. I am glad you like the "Cookie Wednesday" idea. It has really worked for my kids. School starts on Wed the 27th, so our summer activities are almost over.
Post a Comment