Sunday, August 3, 2008

Darce Dodge & Nathan Nissan


I got an email from an old college friend the other day, and she reminded me of one of my favorite memories of BYU.
I joined a club called, "Best Buddies." For those of you who don't know what that is, basically people with disabilities are paired up with a friend. And, that friend gets to go do things with their new "buddy." I majored in Therapeutic Recreation, so this was a club that was my type of thing. My buddy was Nathan, and Nathan had autsim. Nathan was in his early twenties, and I was, too. I didn't know a whole lot about autism at the time, but it was my opportunity to get to do whatever recreational types of things Nathan wanted to do. He lived in a group home, and I found out that he really liked to eat and he loved cars. Other than that, he didn't talk a whole lot, so it was hard for me to ask him what he wanted to do. So, we'd go out to eat once in a while, or I'd take him with me to the store. We went bowling a couple of times--you know, just the normal, cheap college stuff.
One thing I learned fairly quickly is that Nathan liked to stare, and Nathan liked to stare right at me! But he didn't just stare--he got as close to my face as he could and then he'd stare. He'd only do it to the side of my face, tho--by my ear. At first this kind of bugged me, but then I learned to just go with it and have fun. One time we were at a restaurant. I was reading the menu, and there was Nathan--almost in my ear, just staring. Well, actually, Nathan never just stared. He liked alliteration. And, remember, he liked cars--especially Dodges! Well, "Darce" and "Dodge" both begin with the letter, "D", so when Nathan stared he continually repeated, "Darce Dodge. Darce Dodge. Darce Dodge." So, here we were, at Frontier Pies; I'm reading this menu, and here's Nathan in my ear, "Darce Dodge. Darce Dodge. Darce Dodge." It was pretty funny, and I really liked Nathan, so I turned to him and surprised him, "Nathan Nissan," I said. He busted out laughing, and that's how our game began. From then on it was "Darce Dodge" and "Nathan Nissan." I loved that guy.
Anyway, my roommate reminded me of another experience I had with Nathan--one I had forgotten. Nathan was blessed with a generous portion of nose. His was a little larger than most. Once, my roommate and her boyfriend decided to join Nathan and myself in our adventure. They were sitting in the backseat, and I was driving. Nathan was doing his staring thing--again, pretty close to my ear. All of a sudden, I turned to him and said, "I'm gonna bite your nose!?" Everyone in the car burst into laughter, and Nathan Nissan knew he was part of our "group." He was loved. He was accepted.
My year with Nathan Nissan ended at a Best Buddies Prom. He and I dressed up and danced the night away. I will always be grateful for that opportunity, the memories and laughter that Nathan gave to me, and especially for the "best buddy" I made. Thanx Nathan Nissan!! You were the best!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

What a great memory. I'm so glad you shared that story on your blog. :0)