Sunday, August 3, 2008

Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do--part 2

So I went back a looked at the email I got from my friend, telling me she enjoyed listening to me sing. I want to clarify that she really meant she enjoyed listening to me sing! In fact, in the email she said that I sing well! That's why I was so surprised--she actually said that! So, I want to share something.

A long time ago I heard stories about Pres. George Albert Smith and his determination to develop the talents the Lord had given him, or not given him, but he wanted to develop. One of those was playing baseball, and another was singing. In regards to baseball, he wanted to play so badly that he practiced daily, by throwing a ball against his barn. Eventually, he got very good and made the school team. The same was true with his singing. He wanted to sing, so he sang everywhere he went. He wasn’t very good, but eventually it got to the point where he could join choirs and choruses, and they’d let him. That story has always stayed with me, and inspired me, so I think that’s some of the inspiration I have to sing to my girls every night. Secretly I hope that someday I’ll have a nice voice. I’ve sung to my girls every night, since they were babies, and they’ve come to expect that. They’ve never made fun of me, or told me I can’t sing. So, I wonder if the Lord is blessing me with somewhat of a voice because of my desire, and my willingness to sing to them. (It’s a non-threatening atmosphere.) There have been times when I could hear that I was actually on key! So, maybe. . . . maybe someday I'll have that voice I've always longed for. And, maybe this was Heavenly Father's way of letting me know I'm on the right track--to keep singing. I love His "tender mercies."

1 comment:

Erica Hanks said...

Last year, when the Primary was getting ready for the program, Kayden said he did NOT want to be in the program. We asked him why and he said it was because he sings weird. He said it doesn't sound "nermal" when he sings. So for the week before the program, each night in his prayers, we had him ask Heavenly Father to help him be a good singer.

On the day of the program, Dave and I sat down in the audience, nervously watching him. As he started singing the first song, he broke out into a huge grin! After the program, he ran down to me and told me that Jesus helped him be a good singer!

A Tender Mercy indeed!