Thursday, February 26, 2009

Homemade Teriyaki Beef Jerky


I guess this doesn't look too appetizing, but I have to say looks are deceiving!

My family likes my beef jerky better than any we've ever found in the stores. That makes me feel good because they don't always like the things I make, and they usually don't like anything BETTER than in the stores. So, when I found some London Broil on sale recently, it was time to stock up on our beef jerky. I like to keep some around for year supply/preparedness, and we had run out. So, amidst all this flooring, I still want to do what I can to be prepared for whatever may come. I marinated about 7 pounds of London Broil and ended up being able to put up about 30 ounces of jerky. (My family ate quite a bit before I could vacuum seal it!!) After I dehydrated it all day yesterday, I put it in 5 oz. vacuum sealed bags today. OOOO, it's yummy! I've got more raw meat in the freezer, so I'll go at it again in the next day or so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you get the Jerky to vacum seal? Every time I do it I get a hole in the bag because of a sharp edge of the meat.

Darce said...

I don't know--I just use the bag stuff that comes with the food saver. i've never had a problem. BTW, it's good to see you guys!