"I love me because I am a child of God. And today I'm going to be a leader and NOT a follower."
I loved that idea, so I immediately went to work to implement that into our morning routine. Kate was about six when we started and that first time I asked her to repeat it she had a very hard time! You try it--try looking in the mirror and telling yourself you love you! It's hard! However, a year and a half later, it's become much easier--and our girls stand a little stronger, I believe.
So, this is how our morning goes . . . . After I get all done fixing their hair I give them a big hug and tell them I love them. Then, they look directly in the mirror, right in their own eyes, and proudly say,
"I love me because I am a child of God. And today I'm going to be a leader and NOT a follower."
I started this tradition to help our girls know who they are, to help them feel my love as well as their Father in Heaven's love, and to begin teaching them what leaders are and what they do. However, recently I've realized it's began to teach me who I am--that I am a child of God as well. It's interesting how the Lord works. Because it's become such a habit after getting my girls completely ready, I've noticed that when I'm completely ready for the day that phrase often pops into MY head! That wasn't planned! That wasn't part of what was supposed to happen with this. But, I wonder if it's really fair for me to expect my girls to say it if I don't. So, most days I say it, and some days I even say it out loud. And, to be honest, it's HARD to say it out loud--but I do. And, I'm starting to feel a little more confidence, a little more understanding of who I am, and a little more steadfast and immovable.
You know--the Lord blesses us with children for many reasons. I believe one of them is to teach us who we are and how much He loves us. And, if He loves me, then I can love me!
2 comments:
That is fantastic! I love that! What a great idea. Do you think I can get the teenage girls to start? I'm going to try. They think I'm nuts already.
That would be WAY hard for me. I could have my kids say it no problem but me? I'd feel Saturday Night Liveish "I'm good enough. I'm smart enough and doggone it, people like me!"
Post a Comment