My sister called me last night and this is how the conversation began:
Phone: RRRIIIINNNNGGGG
Me: Hey! You're alive! What's up?
Krystal: We're screwed!!!!
Me: (laughing) 'Cuz of Obama?
Krystal: Why are you laughing?!
The conversation continued, and we talked about the state of our country--and what might be coming.
This may be a long post, and you may not want to read it, but since it's my blog; I'm the editor-in-chief, and this editor feels it's important to post her feelings. You don't have to read it, but I like to think it might make you think a little.
Am I scared? Yah, I'm scared. Do I feel like it's all going down the drain, like we're "screwed," as my sister said? No. This is America. This is the "promised land." This is the place the Lord chose to restore His gospel. Will He forget us? No! Has He forgotten us? No! But, have we forgotten Him? I think so! No prayer in the schools. No Pledge of Allegiance. Let's take "In God We Trust" off the penny, the state buildings, etc., etc.. In fact, let's make marriage between one man and one woman an issue so that we actually have to define God's law--a law that has been in existence since the beginning! Yah, I think we've forgotten Him. But He has promised He will not forget us--ever!
Life is going to "change" (Thanx Mr. Obama!), but the Lord doesn't change. His principles have been, are, and will be the same--always! His love NEVER changes. If we will straighten up (repent), have faith, live right, have charity--and above all, FOLLOW THE PROPHET we WILL be okay! Does that mean it'll be easy? No. Does that mean we won't have problems, trials--even major ones? No. Does that mean some of the righteous will die? Probably. But, it does mean that in the end we will be blessed. I also believe that we will be protected through the difficult times. We've been told to pay tithing (Malachi 3) (I don't care what church you belong to), and that by doing so our crops will not fail, we will not be burned at His coming, we will be protected. I take God at His word!
My younger sister, Arianne, had some interesting insight. As she watched Obama give his acceptance speech last night she noticed the people in the crowd. Their faces showed such hope, such longing--for a leader, even a spiritual leader. She, and I, hope (for their sakes) that Obama can deliver. Personally, I don't believe he will. Heck, within the first few minutes of his speech he said that "change is coming, but that change probably won't happen within the first month, the first year, or possibly even within the first term . . ."--already, he's backing out of the campaign promises he made! Man (and woman) cannot depend on the arm of flesh (man). We must turn to the Lord! He should be our leader. I wish that all those who think they need Obama to be their spiritual leader knew of the joy that comes from knowing a prophet of God is on the earth. That he speaks with the Lord, and that by following him we can be happy; we can have the joy, direction, peace, comfort that these people are seeking. It makes me think I need to be a better missionary.
What does Obama as President mean for me in my life? My first response is that (as I've said already) my family and I need to follow the prophet. We need to show gratitude to the Lord for the blessings we have. We need to have charity and serve others, and we need to live our lives patterned as closely to the Savior's as we can. I love the words to the Primary song, "If The Savior Stood Beside Me":
If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do?
Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true?
Would I follow His example? Would I live more righteously,
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?
If the Savior stood beside me, would I say the things I say?
Would my words be true and kind if He were never far away?
Would I try to share the gospel? Would I speak more reverently
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?
If the Savior stood beside me, would my thoughts be clean and pure?
Would His presence give me strength and hope, and courage to endure?
Would His counsel guide my actions? Would I choose more worthily
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?
He is always near me, though I do not see Him there
And because He loves me dearly, I am in His watchful care
So I'll be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me.
And, Obama as President means I need to be a better missionary! It means I get to teach my daughters the difference between fear and faith. It means I am being given the opportunity to strengthen my own faith, my own level of obedience and commitment to the Lord. It means many good things can come!
"Be still and know that I am God" (Psalms 46:10)
ps: The marriage protection amendments passed (in all three states)!!! At this point in time, I feel passing those was more vital to our country than who our president is! To me, them passing is an example of the Lord answering the many, many prayers of those who fasted, prayed, sacrificed, and campaigned for an issue so vital to maintaining values and morality within this great nation! Thank you, Heavenly Father, for helping us protect the divine sanctity of marriage!
5 comments:
I agree! I wasn't holding out much hope for a McCain win. But I'm thrilled that the props passed! Yay! All the hard work done by so many paid off!
Darce, you are amazing. You are so good with words and your faith has always amazed me.:) This post is perfect--thank you! You inspired me!
Very well put, Darce. You are incredible, and just reading your post gave me such a boost. Our Stake Pres. shared his insights on faith last weekend when we said that fear is just the absence of faith--just as darkness is only the absence of light. We can't turn ON the dark, we only turn OFF the light. So it is with fear--we need only to increase faith to dispel fear. Following the Prophet is the only way. Love you, girl. Aunt Melody
So true! I've had more discussions with Hayden regarding President Monson this week as he keeps coming home from school with conflicting information. I have realized the need for me to be stronger, more determined and a much better missionary. Not only to others, but especially for Hayden. It is nice to be able to teach him the difference between the laws of the land and those that govern us and the principles of the gospel and to be blessed with a living prophet who we know we can trust. Thanks for your reassurance.
This was a wonderful post. Very eloquent opinions my dear. Thank you for sharing.
Post a Comment