Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A wha . . . ?!

"Mom, I wish we could have it for a pet!"

The past couple of days the girls have had Fall Break, so they haven't had to go to school. The weather has been beautiful so I wanted to do my daily exercise outside. I had the grand idea of taking them with me on a brisk walk. And, since Snowflake can't afford to pay a PE teacher, I decided I would do my girls a favor and help them get a little physical education--not to mention myself! The girls readily agreed. So, they hopped on their bikes while I laced up my tennies and off we went.

I didn't realize how difficult it would be for them to ride little bikes up hills (mind you, they're small hills) on dirt roads. I guess I just wasn't thinking! (Or, maybe I'm just a mean mom and I'm into torture?!) Anyway, about 1/4 mile into our trek, and climbing a small hill, I realized how much better exercise this was going to be for me--as I pushed and pulled them BOTH up the hill. Actually, it was kind of fun. I don't know if it's because the weather was beautiful, or because we were working together to accomplish a difficult goal, but either way I really enjoyed it. The story, "The Little Engine That Could" took on new meaning for all of us as we set our sights on the top of the hill ("Just up there, girls, where the two mailboxes are--that's the top!") As I pushed on their backs, and pulled on their handlebars, we repeated those famous words:
"I think I can. I think I can. I think I can."
And we did! When we got to the top it was sweet success!

Yes, Eliza complained of her legs hurting, but she seemed to soon forget the pain as she raced down the hill, with the wind whipping thru her hair. They learned that you don't get the joy and fun of going down a hill until you've climbed up it.

After the first day's exercise experience, I was a little concerned they wouldn't want to accompany me the next. However, much to my surprise and delight, they both excitedly promised they'd go again the next day.

So, early the next morning, they buckled up their bike helmets, dressed less warmly, and we set off again--this time with mom planning on only going on paved streets. Again, we had a great time, and again we learned a valuable lesson from exercising. . . .

Kate was faster, so she was in the lead, when all of a sudden she steered into the middle of the street and stopped. Before I even asked her what was wrong, I knew.
"Mom, a snake!"
There it was--right in the road, right in our path! Me, being the always despiser of everything slimy, scaly, and reptile-like, I didn't know what kind of snake it was, but I did know it wasn't a rattler since there was no rattle. The girls were thrilled to see a snake "in the wild."
Kate: "Mom, I've never seen a snake not in a cage."
Eliza: "Mom, I wish we could keep it for a pet."
Mom: "Uh, Nooooo?!"
We raced back home for the camera, and that silly snake just kept sunning on the road--waiting for his one chance at fame--on our blog!

After the appropriate oohing and aahhing (all at a safe distance, of course!) and picture-taking, we learned our second lesson: We never could've seen that cool thing if we hadn't gotten up and exercised!

"Who wants to go with me tomorrow?" A resounding, "Me!"

ps: Thanx to my always loving husband of everything reptile-like, I learned it was a bull snake.

2 comments:

Jerlyn said...

I guess they aren't just at our house. We've had two in the past week. I'm not a fan.

Bethany and Cameron said...

Yup, that just grossed me out! Ugh--I HATE snakes!!! And I'm sitting her reading this right before bed. Pretty sure I'll be fighting imaginary snakes in my bed!!!:(