Okay, so I hope you're not all bored, but I'm going to keep you updated on the building of our home. I've debated about whether or not I should start a new blog that is solely dedicated to our build, but I've decided it might take too much of my time to run two blogs. So, if you don't like these posts, you don't have to read them! Besides, my blog is for my journaling purposes anyway.This is a picture of the forms that are going to be used for the foundation. As you can see, we're going small--it will serve our needs and allow for growth later (when it won't cause us to go into debt). It's all about saving money and preparing for the future!
Our contractor, Karson Crosby, is awesome! (As a side note, I'm going to have to give him props right now because he's been so good to work with us! Not only is he a fabulous builder, but he's a good and honest man! He's been so patient with us, working with us, helping us. We've been working with him for about a year now, and I just really appreciate who he is--as a person! So, if any of you need a contractor, I HIGHLY recommend him!)
Anyway, he dropped off some samples of the roofing and siding colors this morning. I guess we need to pick them out this week. So, I'm wondering if any of you would like to give us some input--not that we'll do what you say, but I'm curious what you would pick--I'd like to hear what you'd choose. The siding colors we have to choose from are here and here. (Look at both because they are additional colors.) As far as the roofing goes, we can choose between these two colors: amber and driftwood. Whaddya think?
I'll tell you--I'm thinking about the interior decorating going along the lines of an "urban farmhouse". I like the classic, simpleness of a country farmhouse, but with a little bit of updating. I haven't decided what colors to do on the inside yet, but I like the old look--the vintage, antique-looking, maybe robin-egg blues, rustic reds, wheat yellows, maybe even some greens (like blue-green). I like the distressed look a lot, with lots of wood. But, I'm wanting to do all of this cheaply. I want rag rugs (homemade, of course), some of the old, iron and metal accessories, wainscotting, quilts (homemade), etc. Accessories--old pitchers, tea kettles, birdhouses, fresh flowers. Are you getting my vision? A pot rack, or maybe hang my pots on the wall. A tea kettle on our wood stove. But, I don't want to have to dust a lot, so I don't want lots of accessories! (I HATE dusting.) Besides, that would take away from the simpleness of it all. Anyway, just thought I'd share with you my vision (that's still forming) so that if any of you have any advice (websites, pictures, blogs, or your own ideas) that could help me decorate--you might share it with me!
This is going to be a lot of fun, but it's going to be a lot of work--and time-consuming. I'm excited, and looking forward to it! But, I think I need some help! So, feel free!!!!
Again, let me know what you think--what colors would you choose?
4 comments:
This is so exciting! I know I'm a dork because I immediately went to the websites to look at the colors. I'm so jealous you get to start with a house from the ground up and DECORATE it! How fun (and overwhelming). I don't know which roof to go with but I like any of the colors in the greens, reds, browns, or greys - preferably on the darker end of things. So that would be Sage, Clay, Slate, Walnut, Red or Ivy. If I had to choose I would probably go with Sage or Ivy, although I guess it depends on the landscaping and what's around. Hmm..
I liked the red siding (I'm partial to reds and browns). That way when people come to see it, you can say it's the red one on the street. The floor plan is perfect!
Such an exciting time!! I love reds too!
I think it comes down to color combinations. I really like the darker driftwood roof but then you'd probably need a lighter color on the siding so the house wasn't so overwhelming, maybe natural linen or silver moss. If you go that route, I'd definitley want to accessorize with dark, bold shutters, even if just at the front of the house. However, if you go with the lighter roof, the dark, bold colors of coastal sage, walnut, vintage wicker and autumn red are my favorite and there probably wouldn't be a need to accessorize with shutters. I'd definitely stay away from anything blue or with a blueish tint. Anyhow, that's my opinion. This sounds like fun!
Post a Comment