Friday, May 22, 2009

Life's lessons from chickens

Last night I fed our chickens a large pile of brussels sprouts leaves. I didn't just feed them a few; there were plenty to go around. I was interested to see how they would take to this new addition to their diet, so I stuck around to watch.

They were slightly hesitant at first, but pretty soon one chicken grab a leaf. Then another, and then another. However, after the first couple grabbed their leaves, the other chickens began chasing the ones with the leaves--trying to steal the precious treasure. They hadn't even tasted it yet, or really even knew what it was. But, they chased the chickens with the food.

As I watched, I thought about a few things.
1. Why did they chase the one with the food, without even knowing what it is?
2. Why didn't they just get their own? There was a huge pile of it! In fact, some of them were standing right in the middle of the pile when they darted after the one with the food!

As I pondered these questions, it dawned on me that many times we're like chickens!
We always want what the other guy has. Why? Sometimes we even want it when we don't know exactly what they have! It's just that we don't have it, too!
Sometimes we don't take advantage of the opportunities that are right under our feet! We're so busy looking around to see what we're missing out on that we don't see what's right there!
And, sometimes we just follow blindly. There are leaders that get what they want because they lead. And, there are followers that are always missing out and making life difficult for others.

Today, I'm deciding I don't want to grovel with the chickens.

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

I love that! Great "food" for thought. I'm going to start looking under my feet instead of chasing the leaves that can't be caught.

Deanna Householder said...

Thanks for the insight Darce! We want chickens too! Seems like a lot of people are doing this. Just another way to be self-sufficient. :)

Jerlyn said...

blog2print.com
It was the best price and absolutely easy to use.

arizonamama said...

Where are you?